De facto, o que não falta é animação para as eleições americanas, não são nos próprios Estados Unidos, mas até aqui em Portugal, nomeadamente na blogosfera, sobretudo desde que a governadora Palin entrou na corrida como candidata a vice-presidente pelos republicanos. Acho que nunca se escreveu tanto sobre uma pessoa (ou, por outro lado, nunca uma pessoa foi tão atacada).
Como muito se disse sobre aquilo que Palin fez ou não fez no passado, deixo aqui o link de um sítio que tenta esclarecer alguns desses casos: Sliming Palin. Eis o resumo:
We’ve been flooded for the past few days with queries about dubious Internet postings and mass e-mail messages making claims about McCain’s running mate, Gov. Palin. We find that many are completely false, or misleading.
- Palin did not cut funding for special needs education in Alaska by 62 percent. She didn’t cut it at all. In fact, she tripled per-pupil funding over just three years.
- She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a "What if?" question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term.
- She was never a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, a group that wants Alaskans to vote on whether they wish to secede from the United States. She’s been registered as a Republican since May 1982.
- Palin never endorsed or supported Pat Buchanan for president. She once wore a Buchanan button as a "courtesy" when he visited Wasilla, but shortly afterward she was appointed to co-chair of the campaign of Steve Forbes in the state.
- Palin has not pushed for teaching creationism in Alaska's schools. She has said that students should be allowed to "debate both sides" of the evolution question, but she also said creationism "doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."
We'll be looking into other charges in an e-mail by a woman named Anne Kilkenny for a future story. For more explanation of the bullet points above, please read the Analysis.
Talvez isto esclareça alguns dos boatos sobre Palin e, sobretudo, algumas afirmações que são feitas por aí sem uma sólida sustentação.